Monday, January 18, 2010

ALPHA WOLF by Linda O. Johnston

*This is just my opinion, my personal take on any given book, use as a reference. I will not be overly gushing. I will also endeavor not to give too much of the plot away.
I will not hand out 4 star ratings for every book.*


Harlequin~Sillouette Nocturne Jan 2009 288 pages

First, can I say I don't understand why this line hasn't more than 2 titles a month? Maybe sales figures will prove me wrong, but I was under the impression paranormal was...HOT. *shrug*

Regardless, I was a tad disappointed in this story, as the premise does appeal. Shape-shifting/werewolves part of a macho "Alpha Force" unit, tucked away in a remote town that just happens to have werewolf myths hanging over its head.

Major Drew Cornell, is a smoldering man -beast, he is not the problem with this story. It is the bland, sweet new vet in town, Melanie that is the detriment to me personally. I found my mind wandering whenever she was in a scene without the hunky Drew in it. She was boring, and I felt, not for Drew. The love scenes were surprising tame for the Nocturne line, while some may have found that refreshing, it left me wanting more, as Drew is quite a specimen.
The 'meat' of the plot, the mystery surrounding the Alpha Force was adequate enough to keep my interest.
This was, a light read to be sure. I wished it had more substance, as the general plot was fascinating.

2 and a half stars out of four.

KOVER KUDOS: Harlequin gets 3 and a half stars out of four for this cover, the model fits the physical description of Drew to a TEE, even if that is a photoshopped 'A' on his bicep, (though I love the attention to detail!) having the dog there (like his companion 'Grunge' in the book) was a nice touch, and seemed fitting, as I think Drew's relationship with his dog was more believable than with the heroine. Great cover!!

No comments: