Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Importance of Staying Quiet


Yes! I am going to talk about keeping quiet. There is an oxymoron for you.

There has been some 'stuff' going on in my romance pubbed world that has tested my trust (and sanity) the last several months in more than one place or another. No, I am not going to discuss it.

When things happen, either in your personal life or professional, we seek comfort from like-minded people, we commiserate and exchange stories and lean on each other.

I have found out that this a good thing....in face-to-face communication. On-line? Not so much.

Emotions run high and fuel rants. Accusations are made. Statements are taken out of context. Tones of comments and/or posts are misread and misunderstood.
Frankly, it has turned me off social media.

But outside of all this, I have learned (and learned it the hard way) to not go off half-cocked, make accusations, point fingers and snarl threats until you know all the facts. Common sense.

Look after your own interests. Not to sound cold, but you can't be worried about everyone else. Any communications between yourself and the party in question should be kept confidential. Stay informed and make informed decisions when you have no choice but to make it. And keep those decisions to yourself. Making grand pronouncements on-line always seem to come back and bite the person in the fleshy part we sit on. I've seen it time and again.

Also it is important to remember that nothing is private on the internet, not even in closed/secret groups.

I am posting this for my own information. To remind myself not to be overly critical, or on the other hand, overly effusive in any situation. 

And the most important thing of all~ to keep quiet.

Cheers~

No comments: