Saturday, December 2, 2017

SPOTLIGHT: A Wager for the Widow by Elisabeth Hobbes @ElisabethHobbes #HarlequinHistorical #Medieval



  • A WAGER FOR THE WIDOW
  • by Elisabeth Hobbes
  • File Size: 609 KB
  • Print Length: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Harlequin Historical (July 1, 2015)
  • Publication Date: July 1, 2015

Blurb: ‘I SUPPOSE A KISS OF GRATITUDE IS OUT OF THE QUESTION?’


Widowed Lady Eleanor Peyton has chosen a life of independence. Living alone on her rocky coastal outcrop, she’s cut herself off from the world of men – until William Rudhale saves her life and demands a kiss!
As steward to Lady Eleanor’s father, Will knows the desire he burns with is futile – but he’ll still wager he can claim Eleanor’s kiss by midwinter! Yet when the tide turns Will realises vulnerable Eleanor is far too precious to gamble with. Can he win his lady before it’s too late?




Excerpt: 'I noticed when you came to dinner that you were limping. Is it very painful?’ Will asked, filling his voice with concern. ‘I hope it doesn’t interrupt your activities too greatly, though I’m afraid it will stop you riding for a few days at least.’
Lady Peyton shook her head. ‘It aches, but I have no plans to ride,’ she replied.
‘I hope it is better before the midwinter feast. It would be a shame if you could not dance.’
‘I don’t dance,’ she answered, bowing her head and increasing her speed slightly. In the dimly lit corridor her face was obscured by shadows, but something in her tone caught Will’s attention. A hint of regret nestling amongst the aloofness, he thought.
‘I thought all ladies could dance,’ he said, raising one eyebrow.
The muscle in her arm tightened involuntarily under his. ‘I didn’t say I couldn’t. I choose not to,’ she said curtly before lapsing into silence.
They had reached her bedchamber. Lady Peyton untwined her arm from Will’s and opened the door. A crumpled green-velvet coverlet was visible on the bed and Will’s mind began to wander down paths it shouldn’t. Moving a touch closer, he rested one arm on the door frame and bent his head over Lady Peyton, fixing her with the intense gaze that never failed to leave his targets breathless with desire.
‘Lady Peyton, I owe you an apology,’ he breathed huskily. ‘What I did on the ferry...what I asked of you...I was wrong to do so.’ Her green eyes widened in surprise. This was almost too easy. ‘I have no excuse other than that I was swept away by your beauty.’
Will dropped his eyes to the ground as though ashamed, before raising them to look at her once more through half-closed lids. Instead of the rapt expression he expected, Lady Peyton looked outraged.
‘Swept away?’ she said disdainfully. ‘It’s fortunate indeed your horse did not miss his landing if you are swept away so easily!’
‘I mean no offence,’ Will answered calmly. ‘It is a compliment to you that I was overcome by sentiments stronger than my sense of propriety.’
‘I want no such compliments, Master Rudhale,’ Lady Peyton exclaimed. Two pink spots appeared enticingly on her cheeks. ‘If I must suffer to live under the same roof as you, the greatest compliment you can pay me is to believe me when I say I wish you to stay out of my presence as much as possible.’ She spun on her heel and half-flung herself into the room, slamming the door behind her.
Will stood alone in the corridor, scarcely able to believe what had just happened. He fought back a laugh of glee. Truly she was wonderful.
There had not been a woman yet who had resisted Will’s attempts at seduction—few even tried. Now he was more determined than ever that a woman as captivating as Eleanor Peyton would not be the first! 



Buy links




Say hello to Elisabeth via Twitter @Elisabeth Hobbes her Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ElisabethHobbes?ref=hl or follow her blog at http://elisabethhobbes.co.uk

Elisabeth grew up in York where she spent most of her teenage years looking for a handsome Roman or Viking to sweep her off her feet. Sadly this never happened, however, inspired by this she took a degree in History and Art History before training as a teacher. Her writing career began when she entered her first novel, Falling for Her Captor, into Harlequin's So You Think You Can Write contest 2013 and finished in third place.

These days she holds down jobs as a part time teacher and full time mom. When she isn't writing, she spends most of her spare time reading and is a pro at cooking one-handed while holding a book.

Elisabeth's other hobbies include skiing, Arabic dance, fencing and exploring dreadful tourist attractions, none of which has made it into a story yet. She loves ginger mojitos, historical fiction and has a fondness for dark haired, bearded heroes.

No comments: